Archive

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Watch out the special character- A lesson I learnt

Many have experienced most of the Social Networking site is built on using php. This is because of the fact that php has enormous in build rich functions which made "developing a web site" easy. These web site give users the facility to publish blog post to showcase their experience, work in the form of web page.

While testing a social networking site in our company, I got to learn many nitty-gritty of web testing. But one incident/lesson that I learnt from it which I will remember through out my life. Do you think it was the criticism that I had to face? No, not at all. It is because of the behavior to certain parameter displayed by php.

In this application, apart from blog posting user also can comment on blog post. I have tested this feature applying all the techniques that satisfies a form testing. And the outcome is good as it is doing what is expected to be. And you know once the build is certified by tester, it is deployed in production server where end user explore the functionalities.

To my surprised, we received a bug in our bug tracking tool from client saying that user can not post comment on blog post. I kept wondering all the day- how it can happen. I started retesting the functionality and did not get much success. At our end that bug was supposed to get a new status which is "Not reproducible". Generally, we assign this status when a bug can not be reproduced at our end. It's not unusual, sometimes it happens that the same bug can not be reproduced at the later stage of development. Anyway, lets get back to our topic of interest. Before I changed the status, I though for a while thinking that it would be better to break the ice communicating with end user.

I just shot a mail to them asking the parameter or the input they entered in to this feature. All I got an input parameter i.e. Karol & I. I though, "Does it make sense?"

Yes, it does. When I put the content in Comment field and clicked on "Post", it generates a lot of error notices by php which corrupts the user interface and makes the page unusable. Interesting, isn't it? But, in fact, that was a big blow to me. I was completely bull-headed. I could not rest without investigating the actual cause of the issue. I narrowed down the input to "&" only and that did the trick. Though it was amazing, but it turned up the heat on me.

So tester guys, don't limit yourself to the orthodox testing, do something extra to break the functionality of the feature. Find out all the possible way to test a feature. Wish you a very happy and exciting journey ahead...!!!

1 comment:

vishal singh sachan said...

Really this is very useful topic for any tester.
Author please keep sharing like views with us.